Friday, February 4, 2011

Trying Rift

I managed to get myself invited to the Rift beta weekend. I love beta testing, beta events, beta viewers, etc. Even if I don't actually KNOW what it is, I sign up for many beta things because I like to see what's up.

Now let me preface this by saying that I don't consider myself a gamer. I got into Dragon Age, big time, because of the story. I love The Sims because I like the whole micromanaging aspect. I'm still nuts about Second Life because it's not a game, I can shop, and be beautiful there. But games like World of Warcraft or Everquest never never interested me. Partially because I like games where I can use a god mode or a money cheat, and partially because I don't usually enjoy playing games with other people unless it's like a board game or Wii game.

Rift is my first bigger type MMO. I was huge in Legend of the Green Dragon for a couple of years, helped run servers, coded modules, all that nerdy stuff. But that was browser based with no avatars and it didn't require much thinking. Within 5 minutes of Rift, I realized that this was going to take some work.

My main character right now is a warrior Elf. I chose the Elf purely because she was smaller and prettier than the other classes, although I'm pretty much not down with her purple skin. I tried, though.

Rift avatar


I've been playing off and on this afternoon. When I get irritated, I log out. I'm logging out pretty much every 10 minutes. I'm unsure what weapons are really best for my elf. I don't know why people have pets and I don't. I'm following quests without any idea as to what I'm doing. I'm trying not to read chat because it's just exceedingly annoying. I think some people have been helping me out, but I'm not actually sure.

Is it pretty? I guess so. It's a little dark for my tastes. I like bright scenes where I can see stuff. I can't really take a look around at the scenery because there's freakin' things coming to kill me all the time. I move around easily enough, although I have seen people complaining that Rift's lag is much worse than World of Warcraft. All I have to say about that?

Honey, I'm from Second Life. If I can walk, it's all good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got into the beta too. I come from a ton of other MMOs so i had an easier time to get into the game. But i agree to the darkness-factor, would be nice if i could see more. I play an Eth Mage with second Chloromancer (that is where you get the golem pet) and third Necromancer (where you get the skeleton pet). It is actually pretty fun so far, even that i don't understand everything like .. why the hell was i in a party all of a sudden? LOL And if people think that *that* is lag.. they never have been in SL. It's so smooth compared.. :)