Monday, March 10, 2008

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so

I had the opportunity today to go see the SL Shakespeare Company production of Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 1. You can go to their website to find out everything you need to know, but in a nutshell, it's a stage production done in SL on voice. Costumes, sets, the works.

SLSC - Hamlet

SLSC - Hamlet

I went to the second to the last performance today [it was supposed to be the last one, but with the time change, they put one more on just so more people could see] and it was a pretty crowded house. One cool thing was that when you sat on one of the red cushions, your view automatically went to the perfect position on the stage. Of course, I didn't stick to it since I was snapping pics. Here are a few pictures of the performance.

SLSC - Hamlet

SLSC - Hamlet

SLSC - Hamlet

SLSC - Hamlet

SLSC - Hamlet

SLSC - Hamlet


I wanted to get a pic of Ina Centaur, the founder of the SLSC, but SL had her looking fairly terrible with enormous eyes and crazy hair. She does, however, have the cutest little voice I've heard in SL. :)

The only bad thing I could say about this performance is that without facial expressions and body movements, you don't quite get the same experience watching this as you would watching it with actors on the live stage. I think the actors needed to convey more emotion in their voices, but I realize that is hard to do without it seeming like they're overacting. The actor that played the Ghost King was excellent, in my opinion. He did a great job of acting through voice without it seeming like he was just reading it.

Two thumbs up for the whole performance. I can't wait to see when they do the entire play. You can go out to the theater and check it out, plus visit the gift shop and museum. If you're into dressing up, you can even buy the skins, eyes, and clothes that are used in the performance. Very very cool, and I'm very glad that I got to go check that out. Fantastic job, SLSC!!!

No comments: