Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Kittypalooza

I seem to spend more time outside my house than inside these days, either on the porch or on the balcony.

Outside


I think this has more to do with the kitty extravaganza that's going on inside the house than it does have to do with my love of my landscaping.

Audrey and Desi had another baby yesterday. Unfortunately, it was nothing special. Just a female smokey with blue eyes, exactly like the male one I got from the starter pack. Terribly disappointing. I'm giving them one more time to produce a kitten I can sell [and sell for a decent price] before I snap them back to non-breeders. I know that seems a little selfish, but quite honestly, I cannot afford to keep plugging money into this experiment with food and milk for 8 cats and get nothing in return. And it takes a week for them to be able to breed again, so it's just... time AND money consuming.

George and Emma, my Leprecats, will most likely pop out a kitten in the next couple of days. Griffin is ready to go, but Sabine won't be ready for probably 3 more days. Tony and Lucy just now started gaining love after their week of recovery or whatever, so I guess it'll be a week before I get anything out of them.

If in 2 weeks, I don't get anything good to sell, I'll give away Griffin and Sabine, most likely, and the other 6 will go back to being non-breeders. I like them and all, but good God. My budget has a limit!

And so do I.

1 comment:

M said...

I can sympathize with you being disappointed that your cats had a "normal" kitten off the bat, but at the same time I think your expectations need to be realistic. You're treating breeding like a gamble, when it's meant to be something people work at.

Breeding out traits takes time. People who get something like a rare eye or coat on the first breeding are extremely lucky. If that's the expectation, then you're just setting yourself up for disappointment!

Thaat said, I'll happily take your "dud" kitties and give them a home at the store. ;)