Saturday, May 16, 2009

Appreciation

When I first heard about the whole "blogger appreciation week" thing, I thought, oh, that's a cute idea. Certainly there are many many wonderful SL bloggers, and several really good fashion bloggers. They deserve to be recognized for all the work that they put into what is basically just a hobby. [Don't get your panties in a wad, you know you don't get RL rich off of SL blogging, and if you do...well, come tell me your secret. :) ]

I didn't really think that much about it again until a few days ago when suddenly some of my girl friends were exclaiming over group gifts from some group I'd never heard of before. I'll be the first to admit that it is VERY rare that I read the fashion feeds, and only have a few fashion blogs that I enjoy, so I miss quite a bit of the fashion gossip unless someone points it out to me. I missed the boat on the group that you had to ask to be invited into to get gifts from designers for appreciation week. I chose not to ask to be invited because I don't consider myself a real fashion blogger. I'm an everything blogger. I write mostly about my SLife, and while I do reviews, they aren't primarily fashion. I like to do reviews, whether it's clothing, furniture, poses or whatever, and whether I buy it or receive a review copy of it. But they are part of my blog as a whole, and not the primary focus. So quite honestly, I didn't feel like asking to be in some group for fashion bloggers was something that I should do. And yes, I was slightly annoyed. It's Blogger appreciation, right? Not just fashion blogger appreciation? Where does that leave other bloggers who never do reviews but are still vital to the SL blogosphere?

I was just going to put it out of my head when yesterday Maeve Mortlock, Ear Candy designer, dropped a gift on me. Her notecard said that she was dropping gifts on bloggers that she personally reads. I was so touched! THAT is what I thought it would be like! Her gift meant more to me than any gift I probably could have received in a group because she has taken the time to read my blog, and remembers that she has done so! Then this morning I received another gift from Miranda Tretiak of Kiss This in appreciation. Oh ladies, you have no idea how grateful I am. Not because of the lovely gifts, but just because you take the time to read my crazy rambling little blog.

I am always grateful and appreciative of the content creators who give so generously throughout the year. I attempt to drop a notecard or IM anyone that I blog items for to thank them for allowing me to do so. You guys really are the foundation of the SL community, and without you, we'd ... well, we'd look pretty bad. :)

But an equally big thank you goes out from me to the other bloggers out there. Not just the fashion bloggers, but the everything bloggers. The ones who share their lives, introduce you to new places, keep you up to date on what's going on in SL. The ones who help, the ones who teach, the ones who fight to keep things going smoothly. Even if you never receive a gift, or a notecard, or an IM, do not think that you are any less appreciated. If the content creators are the ones who shine, you are the ones holding the spotlight. Gracias, merci, danke, arigato, thank you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya Alicia!
I'm an everything and anything blogger too.

I had exactly the same thoughts as you about the group and pondered about asking to be invited. I did ask, but havent recieved an invite yet. Maybe I'm not good enough?

Anyways... I appreciate you and all the others that I regularly read. And if I had something to give, I would. lol.
How about I just send good thoughts your way? Its all I can muster atm, but I promise good quality!

Unknown said...

How incredibly thoughtful of those designers!

BTW, your last paragraph made me teary eyed - you are a very wonderful person!

Casandra Shilova said...

If the content creators are the ones who shine, you are the ones holding the spotlight.

Well put Ali

I didn't put my name in either for the same reason, and I have a small reader base....so not as many people would appreciate me anyway. *smiles*

Cas
just another everything blogger