So today is something near and dear to my heart lately. Getting healthier! Today is National Start Walking Day. Now, the whole thing is really more geared towards companies, I guess, because it's talking more about bringing your shoes to work, but I think it's really important for everyone to get up and get moving. A lot of us spend an enormous time in front of our computers. You don't think it's a lot, but it adds up, especially if you work in an office and come home to SL and supplement your income by working in there as well. And walking is pretty much the easiest way to get started back on the exercise trail! Even if you think you're healthy enough because you still fit in your size 6 jeans, you can still reap the benefits of a daily walk!
Research has shown that the benefits of walking and moderate physical activity for at least 30 minutes a day can help you:
* Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
* Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels
* Improve blood lipid profile
* Maintain body weight and lower the risk of obesity
* Enhance mental well being
* Reduce the risk of osteoporosis
* Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer
* Reduce the risk of non-insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes
So while it's not an official blogger challenge, I challenge all of you to get a little more exercise in your day every day this month. :) You don't have to do it all at once, and you should only do as much as your health allows. Slow and steady wins the race!
[Unless you're really racing, in which case you probably should pick up the pace. LOL!]