Friday, February 22, 2008

Friday Five - Inspiration Or Perspiration?

We talked in the last meme about who inspires us in SL, but not what. :) It's up to you if you want to apply your "First Life" to these questions, but my answers will be Second Life related.


1. What inspires you?

2. What blocks your creativity?

3. Do you do anything special to get your creative juices flowing?

4. What time of day do you feel most inspired?

5. How do you like to express your creative energy?




My answers:


1. I'm often inspired by what other people do in SL. Whether it's building, scripting, or just decorating, it's amazing what people come up with. I love to get things, take a copy, and then pull it all apart to look at see how they came up with such a wonderful creation. There are so many completely brilliant people out there!

2. My own abilities. LOL It's one thing to be able to dream of what you want to make. It's another thing entirely to get it out into SL. There are many times when I cannot make a prim do exactly what I want it to do just because of the prim limitations. Also, I am not an artist, so anything I do in Photoshop has to be exceptionally simple, which pretty much leaves out most clothing. It's hard to have ideas but not talent. :)

3. I go exploring or shopping! Just seeing what others do is enough to get me excited. Or I share something I'm making with someone else. When they admire it, it makes me really happy and I want to do more to impress.

4. This is going to sound crazy. I am, by nature, a night owl. I am NOT very talkative or charming for at least an hour or two after waking up. [Apologies to those of you who have had the displeasure of talking to me when I've just woken up!] But, I'm most productive and inspired during that time. It's the oddest thing.

5. Silly question. :) I build! Or I hop up on a posestand, take some pictures of myself, and get to work in Photoshop playing with filters and colors. Fixing up my photos, or those of others, makes me feel creative, even though it's all just what looks pleasing to my eye. But I guess that works too. :)

1 comment:

Valryn Vandeverre said...

1. What inspires you?

There is no one thing I can put my finger on that I find inspirational when it comes to creating, so I never know until it happens. I'm perhaps most inspired by music and how it reminds me of a different time. Be it Buddy Holly or Madonna.

2. What blocks your creativity?

Trying to hard to shove the square box into the round hole. If I'm tying to hard at something, I lose my way. Relax, and don't set time limits on your work/creative moments

3. Do you do anything special to get your creative juices flowing?

.. I dance. lol no really, like turn on some music and dance or, I read ghost stories online (yes I know how corny is that)

4. What time of day do you feel most inspired?

I'm exactly like you, most creative at night/evening hours. I am not a morning day person, never have been.

5. How do you like to express your creative energy?

In my real world, I enjoy cooking, gardening and knitting. All of those let me bring out my creative side. In SL making clothing perhaps is my favorite way to express myself, but I also enjoy landscaping and building prim accessories (many of which I never sell lol) I'm gaining a love for tiny prims :)

Alicia, I don't think you give yourself enough credit. Having ideas IS a talent. Being able to implement them is just... the working side.

You are already halfway there, working with your photos with filters and elements within Photoshop IS creative.

Have you tried making textures. Playing with a solid color and seeing what you can morph it into using filters and lighting and blur ect. I think you could bring a totally fresh and adorable feel to textures. then perhaps sell those to others like me :)