Saturday, April 3, 2010

Day 145 - Belle's Arrival

So when I was getting dressed today, this kinda wasn't the look I was going for.

145-365


At least my glasses are hot.

A few days ago I heard about the whole "new user experience" thingy that was going on. Being curious about the new arrival point, which only newbies and Lindens can get to, I decided to go "undercover" as a new resident. And so, Belle Chelmsford was born.

Belle


As you can see, the new avatars are LIGHT YEARS away from what most of us had to work with originally. No texture sandals and system hair for these kids! Hell no. Belle appeared on the scene in cute hair, great skirt, and prim boots. The people around her were similarly dressed.

The arrival


Well, similarly when they're rezzed.

I went through the tutorials and such. I actually came away with a slightly better understanding of Viewer 2.0 afterwards. In a month, we will have people here in SL who know NO other viewer. Are there places where older residents can go and get help like this for the new viewer?

Hey, I even learned to fly. LOL

Learning to fly


One thing I actually don't like about Viewer 2.0 [well, one of many things] is that there is no fly button. It's superficial, but I just LIKE having it.

The tutorial part is pretty quick and before you know it, you're shipped off to one of the Discovery islands. I guess they're all the same - basically a large mall type thing where you can find some freebies. I found my twin.

Twins


I don't know. It didn't seem like a better "first hour experience" to me, honestly. You still end up here alone. There are no mentors or anyone to help you out. It's very...clinical, in a way. The arrival/orientation place is not exactly warm and welcoming. The Discovery place is about the same. We need mentors - REAL ones, not ones that sign up and then never go help or go out there and do stupid stuff to mess with new residents. It needs to be a lot more welcoming.

But in the end, if you're interested in Second Life, you're going to stay. You will find your way and your niche. If you're just passing through, then it probably doesn't matter what your first hour is like or not.

Oh hai.

No comments: