Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I had class once.

Today I decided to do something that I don't think any of the bloggers that I know have done.

I went to blogging class.

Blogging for dummies



I've been in the group for The Learning Experience for a while, but never have attended any of their classes. Why or when I subscribed, I don't have a clue. But I get notices every day of different classes and events going on. The Learning Experience covers 7 sims and has about 30 employees who do research, teach, etc. The classes are free to go. If the others are like the one today, they take place in voice. Only the instructor speaks in voice, everyone else types.

So I went with semi-new blogger Tristan and after about 30 minutes, we were bored and we left. Well, I left because I was bored. She actually had an excuse. But we were both in agreement that the class wasn't really for us.

The problem I saw is that the class was not truly geared towards SL blogging. The instructor went on for over 5 minutes on how we should not expect to make money from our blog unless we get famous with something we've said and end up on TV. Well, no kidding? Do any SL bloggers EVER expect to truly make money at it? If you do, you might want to reconsider things. LOL

Some of the tips I got from the notecards provided were good, though.

* Write about what you know.
* You probably won't say anything someone else hasn't, so find your twist on it.
* Don't expect that just because you write, people are going to read it.
* Don't whine that no one is reading you.
* If you write it and you're right, back it up.
* If you write it and you're wrong, apologize.
* Find your niche and run with it.


Another thing he mentioned was commitment. Now, he was saying that you have to spend at least half an hour a day, but obviously most SL bloggers aren't going to do that. But you do have to have some kind of commitment to your blog if you wish to be read. You can't update randomly once every month or 2 and expect that people are keeping you on their blogrolls or in their heads. Unless you're popular and people love you just for being you, another blogger will come in and knock you off the radar.

I wish the class had been more for SL bloggers and not for just blogging in general, but what can you do? :-p

This was the first time I've taken a class in SL, and it might be something I do again for another subject. But for now, I think I'm going to just keep blogging without class. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only update once every 2 months or so and I'm still on your blogroll.

Yay, I'm popular.

LOL

Siobhan said...

I'm the same, I only update when I have something to say. I'm not on many blogrolls either, but most of my posts get hundreds of views if not many comments.

Someone out there is still reading!

For the record: http://siobhantaylor.wordpress.com