Sunday, August 3, 2008

Good news, bad news, and news to come.

First the good news. LOL My computer has been doing random lockups on me for about ...mm, I guess 3-4 weeks now. It bothered me, but since it only happened sporadically, it didn't bother me THAT much. But they've been getting more frequent, with the worst being yesterday with 3. That's a lot. So I called in my personal geek squad [aka, my RL BF] and he fixed me up. The main problem was that the fan on my video card had burned out and was pretty much detached. LOL Oops. With all this technology and crap we have, shouldn't a little note have popped up? "Hey. Uh. Don't mean to alarm you, but I'm burnt out. I quit. Just letting you know." But since nothing did, I just went about my business. I thought it was running a bit too hot last night. Plus, I was low on free space. 2 gigs left. And that might sound like an ok amount, but with as many photos as I take, and as many songs as I download, I would be out of free space probably by the end of the month.

But, now I have a new video card, and 34 gigs of free space. So woo hoo!

However, there is some bad news. With all the messing around, for some reason, it freaked Photoshop out and made it believe that it's no longer registered. [eye roll] So until I re-register, no pics because I can't resize them or make them jpgs.

I also have some late breaking Hester news, but that'll have to wait because Levi's about to log in [maybe, if I can convince him!] and he's more important to me than Hester news. :)

10 comments:

Sunflower said...

Ali, there's a nifty little free program called IrfanView that I use to crop and resize pictures, and save them as jpegs. It is so small that you can burn it to a CD and run it off a CD, it opens really fast, and is really handy. I use it all the time :)

(I don't have PhotoShop and am scared of GIMP, lol)

Shawn said...

Don't be scared of the GIMP, y'all ... (underneath that leather zipper mask, he's actually a pretty decent guy!)

Ali, I've used GIMP for quite a while now (GIMP=free, me=cheap) so if you want to try it, just lemme know. There are plenty of resources out there that could probably provide some tips to make it NOT so scary! LOL

Eliza Wrigglesworth said...

http://www.picnik.com/

This is free and easy and won't take up any space.

Shawn said...

Oh damn ... forgot all about picnik. You're right, Eliza - REALLY simple and provides great results, totally web-driven. That would work great & not take up ANY of your remaining space, Ali. (Just watch out for the ants ...)

I'm such a techno-geek sometimes ... I always make everything so difficult. LOL!

C said...

GIMP scared me, it did, I tried to play with it 5 times at least and watched tutorials but ... nada.

Maybe I'll sit down and try again when I'm just playing and not actually trying to get a project done. Should be less frustrating that way.

Sunflower said...

Ooo Picnik is new to me. Thanks, Eliza!

Maybe I should try GIMP. No, I'm too scared. Maybe I'll try Pixia first. lol (I read it does layers, that's probably the main thing Photoshop does that none of my existing software can handle)

Shawn said...

GIMP's got layers ...
... like an onion.
... or an ogre.

... or a parfait. Everybody loves parfaits.

(ok, ok ... I'll stop.) =P

Sunflower said...

I know that, but between GIMP and Pixia, Pixia looks less scary :P

I am also super-curious about your top secret blog, Merrick. *bats eyelashes, hoping for an invite*

Shawn said...

Dammit!! You weren't supposed to know about that yet!

Now I'll have to silence you all ... =/

(hee-hee) Nah, just kiddin' ... it's not secret, just my random babblings. It'll be open soon, never blogged before so I'm still workin' out the kinks. LOL!

Sunflower said...

Awesome, lookin' forward to it hehehe