Friday, May 30, 2008

Trying something new...and running right back home!

I signed up a few weeks ago for an invitation to beta test Twinity, which is kind of like SL. Today I got the email saying a space had opened up for me. So I hopped over to download the client.

First of all, the download? Freakin' SLOW. Took almost 20 minutes to download. And I run on a pretty fast DSL line, so I was really really shocked that it took so long. Second, it's a bigger download for the installer. SL's installer [for the Windows version] is 35MB. Twinity's is 122MB. Once installed, which also took fooorrrrever, the client is 359MB, compared to SL's 134MB.

Starting Twinity also took a long long time. But I will forgive them for this, slightly, since it IS Beta. But it does take a while to log in.

When you FINALLY get in, you're dumped in a welcome area and there are 6 little windows telling you how to move around. Basic stuff, arrows move you, holding down the right mouse button and moving your mouse cams around. Everyone was standing there kind of in shock. Two people said hi, but I almost missed it because the chat bubbles are small. And manuevering your avatar is not exactly easy. I never felt as noobie in my life as I did trying to just move without banging into someone. LOL I mean, I use the arrow keys constantly in SL. I very rarely bang into anyone. In fact, I think I'm a pretty good walker these days. Not so in Twinity!

The thing that really got me was how...unattractive the avatars are! You know how in SL if you put a face on a sculpted prim, you get that kind of flat weird look? Those are the avatars in Twinity. I spent about 20 minutes trying to fix myself up. I had 1000 Globals [the Twinity currency] and I was able to shop a little just from my "Me" box, but it was hard to shop too because you didn't get a really good preview of what you were buying. I DID like that you could choose the age of your avatar to try to help your face out some. I chose 23, but I didn't mean to just because every time I tried to change things, the damn thing would stop for a minute. You also have the option of uploading your own face picture, but since I was already having so many problems, I chose not to do that.

This is finally what I came up with. Please forgive me for not getting a better picture, but I couldn't figure out how to change to a daylight setting [if there was a way] and the client locked up when trying to save.


Trying out Twinity


I closed out and tried to go back, but when I did, I kept getting that an unexpected error had occurred. So I uninstalled the whole darn thing.

Will I return to Twinity? Perhaps. I'd love to see how it evolves over time. But for right now, I'm perfectly happy in SL, where I rarely have any problems and my avatar is completely adorable.

3 comments:

M said...

Is it me or does your Twinity Av have a fat head?

I think I will stick with SL as well since I doubt I can find anything else that would provide for making a hotter av. Except maybe Age of Conan, 'cause my av there is hot in a rough, barbarian sort of way.

Besides Alicia, you can't leave SL. You're my favorite blogger! Who else would I live vicariously through! :(

Alicia Chenaux said...

There were all kinds of things wrong with my Twinity av. LOL But yeah, the heads are pretty fat.

No worries. This is the 3rd virtual platform that I have tried [notice I didn't say game] and nothing comes close to SL in terms of just being darn easy to navigate in.

C said...

LOL you are way cuter in SL.

And if it's that tricky for you I don't think I'll be rushing to go try it out.