Monday, June 30, 2008

Shy? Why?

I've been thinking about the comments about the friends thing I posted in one of my previous blogs.

Do we blog because we're shy? I was talking to Levi last night and I told him that I thought that many of us in SL share many similarities. A lot of us ARE shy. A lot of us are loners in the "real" world. And we come into SL where it is, by nature, quite a social place. But as brave as most of us appear, or as outgoing, a lot of us brought our shy selves in here as well.

Levi never seems to believe me when I say that I spend a great deal of time at home by myself when he & Cen aren't online. I see some members of my loud and chatty group get almost shy when certain members send an IM. I read blogs where people say that they're lonely. And I get messages from people who seem to think that they're bothering me by IMing me or that they're shy around ME.

The question is - Why? Why do we come into this world and we get shy? It can't be like in the real world, where we might be too fat or have a huge nose and we're shy to talk. It can't be that we're embarrassed of our clothing or our voices or the fact that our hair constantly has an oil problem. Because in this world, we can have a beautiful or handsome appearance. We can have the hair of our dreams, the clothing we've always longed to wear, the body that only 6 hours a day with a personal trainer we could attain. How many times have you said "If only *this* was better about me, my whole life would be different." Didn't you come into SL and make it so? I know I did, and yet I am still shy.

Just something to think about. :)

One thing I do want to say is this - PLEASE for the love of Blingis! don't be scared to IM me or talk to me if you see me out and about. Chances are, I'm more shy of you than you are of me. :) But I do enjoy meeting people and trust me, I am not any more special than any of you. In fact, once you talk to me, you pretty much find out what a goober I really am within the first 5 minutes. If I do happen to be busy, I will still take the time to talk to you for a couple of minutes and then tell you that I need to get back to work.

I think Cen said it best last night:

CeNedra Rivera: it's a good thing I think you're a goof or we couldn't be friends LOL j/k


7 comments:

M said...

"For the love of Blingis!"

*snickers* That just never gets old.

Ok, being serious here. I didn't start blogging because I am shy. I mainly started it to have a place to record my thoughts. I am one of those types of people that needs to verbalize their thoughts in order to better process them. I don't have many RL friends I can talk to about my online escapades, so the blog was intended to substitute. As I've been blogging more though, I do find that it's helped me come out of this repressive little shell I'd been keeping myself in.

I think I'm going to save the rest of my thoughs for my blog post tonight since it kind of fits with them. Look at you, making me think again Ali! ^_^

Terri Zhangsun said...

yup, that as me...a loner in RL. I am a home body! I was in HS and I still am now at age ???.

Sehra Kauffman said...

I'm always afraid I'll be bothering people, or that I'll become "that new friend who I have to babysit." The only people I don't feel that for are like my first 4 friends in SL who I super comfortable with.

And that's odd because in RL I talk to everyone, I'm super outgoing, probably to the point of annoyance. I guess I just feel like I still have so much to learn in SL and am not sure what the etiquette of the IM is.

So all of us bloggers are sitting around lonely and afraid to IM each other. Blah! We as a silly little bunch, no?

Casandra Shilova said...

I'm shy in RL too (although most people don't realize it), but really popular!

Now does that make any sense ??
No? I didn't think so either - lol

Dyami Jameson said...

I've always been a little shy in r/l. As I've gotten older, I'm not as shy as I used to be. The job that I have has helped overcome some of that as well.

In SL, I can be a little silly or do crazy things that I wouldn't normally do in r/l. It's because I feel more comfortable with my SL than I do with r/l sometimes. I probably show more of the inner me here than I normally would show elsewhere.

Nuuna Nitely said...

I'm not really shy in Sl, I just have nothing to say. Well I could always say Hi. I like your blog... but that's not me.:) Us Estonians aren't good at smalltalk anyway.:) And of course my English is barrier also, I make too much spelling mistakes.:p Sl really need an in world spellchecker thingy.

Anonymous said...

I've had the conversation so many times with friends of mine where we talk about how the night before we were each just off doing our own things and not IMing anyone because we just assumed that everyone else was busy. Some of us can go days without talking because we each assume we'd be bothering the other person. It's crazy, and I'm not sure why so many of us feel that way.